Chewy Granola Bars

Saturday, January 11, 2014

I have a control problem and I know it. I like to know what we are eating. It is exhausting to make shit like this sometimes but it is so worth it. Have you read about the current state of food lately? It's scary. We aren't 100% free range/ organic/ pure/ unprocessed but I'm trying. Baby steps!


I made this on a whim and they turned out better than I had thought. The recipe is quick and most of the ingredients are things that you might already have in the pantry.


Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup crisped rice cereal
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
4 tbsp coconut oil
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
Mini semi sweet chips

Directions
Spray an 8x8 glass pan with cooking spray. (I use coconut oil)
In a food processor, pulse the oats to break them up a little bit.
Add sugar, coconut oil and honey to a sauce pan and heat on medium heat.
Stir until sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and add vanilla.
In a medium bowl, mix oats and cereal.
Pour melted mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
Pour oats into glass pan and press firmly. (I cover it with waxed paper before pressing)
Top with mini chips and press into the oats. Press quickly as they might melt a little due to the heat.
Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until they are set.
Cut and enjoy!


Children under 1 cannot have honey so keep that in mind when you're dishing these out. The original recipe is here .

2 Comments:

Jeanine said...

Looks delicious! and super easy. will give these a try! :) thanks for sharing! my kids love granola!

Nic said...

This looks really good! I wonder if Birdie will eat it.

chevrons & anchors

Post a Comment